9 Reasons to Participate in Physical Therapy
- Posted on: Jul 30 2019
Physical therapy helps men, women, and children of all ages who have specific medical conditions, injuries, or illnesses that impact their ability to move and function properly. With a customized physical therapy program, many patients can recover from conditions that may greatly and negatively impair their lifestyle and overall quality of life. Show Low, AZ area patients who have been advised to start physical therapy should know that there are many benefits to participating in physical therapy now or in the future. Physical therapy can help in:
- Reducing or eliminating pain – when pain of the joints or soft tissues impacts mobilization, therapeutic exercises and manual therapy techniques can be used to reduce pain and prevent pain from returning in the future.
- Avoiding surgical interventions – by using physical therapy to reduce or eliminate pain and allow the body to heal from injury, many patients can avoid the need for surgical procedures to address their condition.
- Improving function and mobility – patients who have difficult participating in regular activities, especially standing and walking, can benefit greatly from routine physical therapy to restore their ability to function at their best. This may include use of crutches, canes, or other assistive devices.
- Recovering from a stroke – men and women who have had a stroke may lose some degree of movement and functionality following this condition. Physical therapy can be used to strengthen the weakened body parts and restore one’s ability to move and be more independent, reducing the need for physical assistance in the home.
- Recovering from sports injuries – sports injuries can be a serious issue for those who participate in high impact sports or experience stress fractures. After an injury, physical therapy can help a patient get back into the game!
- Preventing sports injuries – by maintaining better mobility and understanding the importance of stretching, many patients can reduce their risk of developing a sport-related injury.
- Improving balance – patients who have difficulty balancing may use physical therapy to restore their balance and even reduce or eliminate symptoms of conditions such as vertigo or dizziness.
- Reducing risks of falls – by addressing balance issues that may stem from the vestibular system, physical therapists can help old patients and those with vertigo reduce their risk of damaging falls.
- Managing overall health and age-related issues – as patients age, they may deal with specific conditions that can impact their health and function, including joint replacement surgeries, osteoporosis, and arthritis. By keeping the body moving with physical therapy exercises, patients can maintain their mobility longer than sedentary patients.
Learn more with the team of Summit Healthcare Orthopedic Center about the benefits of physical therapy
Drs. Ian Brimhall, Raul Curiel, and Jeffrey M. Reagan are professional doctors available at the practice of Summit Healthcare Orthopedic Center who are here to provide patients in the Show Low, AZ area with services for improving the function and health of their bodies. If you have been advised to participate in physical therapy, we welcome you to call our facility to schedule a consultation with our team. Call (928) 537-6381 to speak to one of our friendly front office team members about booking a visit with one of our professionals.
Posted in: Physical Therapy