What to Expect for Recovery After a Hip Replacement Procedure
- Posted on: Aug 15 2019
Patients who are considering total hip replacement services in Show Low, AZ are encouraged to work with an orthopedic team that can provide information regarding the recovery and post-operative care needed to ensure a healthy and fast recovery. As with many invasive surgical procedures, there is some downtime that will be required for those with total hip replacement. Patients understand the importance of following post-operative instructions and visiting their doctor regularly to make a full recovery. Drs. Ian Brimhall, Raul Curiel, and Jeffrey M. Reagan are our doctors who may provide care for patients at Summit Healthcare Orthopedic Center.
Below are some tips regarding the recovery time needed following hip replacement surgery:
- Within 24 hours, it may be a good time to stand up and take several steps with the assistance of a cane or walker.
- Control pain with the provided pain-relief medications to stay comfortable during and after your hospital stay.
- Hospital release often depends on one’s ability to walk short distances and get in and out of bed.
- Visit with a physical therapist or occupational therapist soon after release from the hospital to start recovery.
- Continue participating in strengthening exercises when returning home to improve mobility and range of motion.
- Maintain a schedule with pain medication for the first few weeks, and then begin to wean off of them to return to a normal schedule.
- Patients can drive a car when they are able to get in and out of the car on their own and are off the use of pain medications. This may be anywhere from three weeks or longer.
- Patients with sedentary jobs can return to work within three to six weeks following surgery, while those who work in a career that require extensive lifting, bending, and other labor-intensive activities may not be able to return until two to three months following their procedure depending on recovery progress.
Interested in discussing hip replacement procedures with our team?
Show Low, AZ area patients who are interested in the hip replacement procedure are encouraged to book an appointment with the team at Summit Healthcare Orthopedic Center. Our practice is conveniently located at 2200 East Show Low Lake Road and can be called at (928) 537-6381. We welcome new and existing patients into our practice to learn about our orthopedic services, including total joint replacement solutions.
Posted in: Hip Replacement